Yesterday I was on a natural high, after finishing an arduous 4 day trek through the Andean mountains to see Machu Picchu, the Lost City of the Incas. All I can say is that it was one of the most physically challenging things I've had to do my entire life, and this is after 1 month of so-called "training" at the gym to be in shape. It was a humbling experience, yet so rewarding. I know - cheesy but I really do feel that way. No showers for 3 days, peeing into holes in the ground, 44 km hike to altitudes up to 13,800 feet on some of the toughest terrain I've seen...I mean, it's no Kilamanjaro but I still think it tested my inner nerve, physical and emotional strength in order to complete this in one piece. I love the outdoors, but I am definitely not the camping type!
It was a grueling journey but I'm so happy that I did it..in the company with good friends too which makes all the difference. I would recommend Peru Treks, the tour operator I went with .. they took amazing care of all of us. The guides and the porters were fantastic and really worked hard to make sure we were safe, comfortable, and enjoyed ourselves. I met some interesting folks in our group too, from all walks of life, all ages and nationalities. It's one of the best things about travel because you meet different people with various backgrounds, yet are experiencing the same things as you are... it's hard not to get along when you're climbing up a mountain for 4 days together.
Anyways, I'm at a hostel in Cuzco right now... trying to figure out a way to get out of this country and back home to the States. If I don't get back in time, I'll miss my flight to Tokyo, which I'm hoping and praying isn't the case. I'm tired as all hell in a foreign country where I barely speak the language, with no friends with me anymore ... but still grinning and bearing it ...The free wifi helps, I suppose :)
First glimpse of Machu Picchu after 4 day hike - pictures don't do it justice but the weather was a bit foggy and rainy in the morning


We made it!

View of the agricultural terraces of Machu Picchu, whose functions were threefold: 1) preventing landslides in heavy rains 2) planting different agricultural crops in various altitudes and 3) aesthetic appeal
Better pics to come, hopefully when I return to NYC! Hope everyone is doing well.
Stranded in Cuzco due to protests?! That's exactly the type of travel adventure I like! Enjoy the opportunity to eat all the 200 types of potatoes they have in Peru and to drink a lot of Inca Cola (the Peruvian and yellowish version of our Coca-cola!). Saludos!
ReplyDeleteDid you make it to NY? Japan???
ReplyDeleteHi dear!!! was everything okay? Sounds like my Thailand adventure. hope you made ur flight to Japan!! I just got back from Greece but praying everything turned out okay!
ReplyDelete